About Me

My photo
WELCOME to my little arty world! Trying to make art is a huge part of my life ... love nothing more than messing around with inks and sprays and generally making a mess!

Tuesday 20 August 2019

Take me to the ocean

My sister-in-law has admired the two altered books I did at Finnabair's  "Rusty Relic" workshops so I decided to make her one as part of her 70th birthday present ... she loves the sea so did one based on the ocean.



Finnabair's original idea was the book should look old and worn - as if you had found it in an old, damp chest in the loft or the cellar and I was very happy to go along those lines again ... the more worn and ragged the better for me!




I used a huge shell we found on a beach in Scotland ... it seems it was just waiting for this project and as it was too wide to fit inside the book I used it on the cover





These photographs do not truly represent the colours I used ... they appear much darker than they really are ... the inside of the book was very 
bluey-greeny and shimmery.
I added a few more collected shells to the large scallop shell - again all collected from our favourite Scottish beaches


I used a favourite poem and decided to keep the back very plain and simple but it does catch the light when you do the twisty-turny thing (the book, silly, not yourself!) and then quite a few colours appear - a little bit like oil on water but with oceany colours


PRODUCTS USED:
All by Finnabair for Prima Marketing unless otherwise stated

Art Basics Heavy Gesso - Black / White
Art Extravagance - Paper Texture Paste
Art Basics - 3D Gloss Gel / Soft Gloss Gel
Art Basics - Modelling Paste
Stencil - Broken Net
Art Extravagance - Patina Effect Texture Paste : Blue / Mint Green
Art Alchemy Metallique Acrylic Paint:
Emerald Green / Stormy Ocean / Steampunk Copper
Art Alchemy Sparks Acrylic Paint :
Green Goblin / Magical Pond
Tim Holtz (Ranger) Distress Spray Stain :
Old Paper / Tea Dye / Stormy Sky
Distress Oxide Spray - Antique Linen
Lindy's Starburst Spray :
Steampunk Sepia / Time Travel Teal / Afternoon Delight Denim
Frosted Forget-Me-Knot
13 Arts Ayeeda Mist :
Pastel Cinnamon / Pastel Caramel / Pearl Old Gold
Art Ingredients Mica Powder (diluted in water in spray bottle) :
Gold / Copper
Art Ingredients - Mega Art Stones / Art Stones / Mini Art Stones
Art Ingredients Glass Glitter - Midnight Blue
Art Ingredients Mica Flakes - Gold Leaf
Art Ingredients Microbeads - Bronze
Art Ingredients - Melange Pebbles
Art Extravagance Glitter Set - Carribean Seas
Art Alchemy Metallique Wax :
Blue Lagoon / Old Denim / Peacock / White Gold
Art Extravagance Opal Magic Wax - Vintage Silk
Art Alchemy Liquid Acrylic - Tiger Orange
Cheesecloth or gauze

Now please
Just take me to the ocean
for it's where I long to be









3 comments: