About Me

My photo
WELCOME to my little arty world! Trying to make art is a huge part of my life ... love nothing more than messing around with inks and sprays and generally making a mess!

Wednesday 6 December 2017

Silent Night

Just handed this over so can now share it here
Intended as a Christmas decoration that I hope will become an heirloom
Will keep the story behind it brief ...

Last year Richard started to learn to play the violin
I joked that I would like him to play me Silent Night at Christmas
He did

Then after daddy died I asked each of the boys for their memories of Grandad
Richard's memory was Grandad's party piece each Christmas 
 - singing Silent Night very fast indeed
Always used to make us laugh

Then, totally and utterly inspired by the violin altered by the wonderful Annette Smyth I knew what I wanted to do

Managed to get a split and broken violin from ebay
VERY stressful as I had to bid on it - but I won!!!!
Managed to find a teeny-weeny little music box (just the bit that makes the noise, not a whole complete music box) that played Silent Night
And hubby fitted this inside for me - just leaving the little key on the outside

Then I set about altering it
Had many meltdowns
Put it away in the cupboard more times than I can count

Trouble was I did not want it too flowery and more *S*N*O*W*flakey
But could not find the sort of S*N*OW*flakes I really wanted 
So had to admit defeat and add in flowers

Kept the colours cool and icy

It is nothing like I wanted it to be and I am disappointed in it
But my intention was always for the sentiment behind it to be greater than anything so all is well

*****

Three coats of gesso



Adding gesso to the embellishments




Then layers and layers and layers of colours
Lindy's Stamp Gang spray inks / Finnabair's Art Alchemy acrylic paints and Finn's waxes





Until I decided it was never going to be as I hoped and called it a day


PRODUCTS USED:
Art Basics 
 Heavy White Gesso
Modelling Paste
Soft Matte Gel
Heavy Body Gel
Claritystamp
 *S*N*O*W*flake Stencil
Ranger Distress Spray Stain 
 Chipped Sapphire
Lindy's Stamp Gang Starburst Spray 
Frozen Jack Frost/Time Travel Teal/Afternoon Delight Denim/
Frosted Lilac Violet/Frosted Forget-me-not
Perfect Pearls Mists
 Mint/Blue Patina
Art Alchemy Acrylic Paint
Opal Magic Pink-blue
Opal Magic Violet-green
Metallique - Deep Waters/White Pearl
Sparks - Magical Pond/Iris Potion
Art Alchemy 
Opal Magic Wax Turquoise Satin/Blue Velvet
Metallique Wax - Old Silver
Art Ingredients
Glass Glitter - Midnight Blue

Thanks for this have to go to Annette - I was blown away by her violin when I saw it and was totally inspired
Enough so to want to do another one

But for now, this was for Richard in memory of his Grandad



2 comments:

  1. Debbie, as ever you totally underestimate your outstanding talent to take various bits and pieces and turn them in to something just drop dead gorgeous. I find this work of art totally inspiring for me as an individual - new year - I may have to take your idea and do something of my own. Your family will treasure this forever xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Kim said! You have more talent in your little finger than I have in my whole body. It is absolutely amazing, no other word for it. And best of all, and surely meaning the most, is all the love that went into it.Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete